We had a fantastic time at the Arc seeing a Millipede, an African Pigmy Goat, Giant African Land Snail, Bantam Chickens, Guniea Pigs, Rabbits, Meerkats, Tortoise and Parrots. What was your favourite creature?
Early Years will be focussing on the following as part of PSED this term. The purpose is for the children to explore what makes them special and unique and to be proud of themselves and their achievements over the course of the past year. Below is a list of some of the things Nursery and Reception will be covering.
SUMMER 2 CURRICULUM PLANNING
Trash Girl: BBC news article. Discussion around bullying and doing what we believe in.
Apple Bruising: Discussion about how ‘unkind’ and ‘mean’ words make us feel and the damage it can cause (looking at the bruising going through the apple).
Odd Sock Day: Anti-bullying day. Teachers will read the story ‘Simon’s Sock’ by Sue Hendra
This half term the teachers will read from a range of the following books in class:
Basil and Sageby Nick Rolfe
Elmerby David McKee
Happy in Our Skinby Fran Manushkin
Everywhere Babiesby Susan Meyers
ABC a Family Alphabet Bookby Bobbie Combs
Love Makes a Familyby Sophie Beer
Peggy Cloverby Nick Rolfe
Pink is for Boys by Eda Kabanand Robb Pearlman
Families Families Familiesby Suzanne Long and Max Lang
It’s Okay to be Differentby Todd Parr
Simon’s Sockby Sue Hendra
This half term children will:
- Make a ‘Proud Cloud’ to show what each child is proud about.
- Design their own superhero based on positive traits.
- Talk about how being left out feels through a focus activity. Children separate into a large group vs one child, and the large group play, and discuss how the single child feels, how to change this, what to do to include everyone in games.
Children will learn about:
- Their family, what is special about them. Family tree
- Their own culture. Parents coming in on Friday afternoons to showcase a range of cultures – crafts, stories, dances etc.
- Bringing in their own favourite toy – discussing the differences in toys and differences in reasons for why they are special to them.
Art & Design
Children will design their own t-shirt to wear to the ’Proud to be Me’ parade. They will also make a collage of themselves using junk materials.
Children will learn and perform the following songs:
This is Mefrom The Greatest Showman
Good to be Me from the Sing Up programme
True Coloursby Cyndi Lauper
I Can Go the Distancefrom Hercules
Proud by Heather Small
We are Familyby Sister Sledge